Letter to a young psychologist with premature syndrome of burn-out
JULY 02nd, 2014
A psychologist lamentsthe deep dissatisfaction that generates his relational profession, despitecarrying it out little years ago. He expresses his discomfort as follows:
- "A third of mypatients solve the problem themselves, limiting my role in such cases to bemerely present"-
- “I never know why thesecond third of patients went to mypsychological office since they do not make any effort to change, and sooner orlater end up going up with the same problem that the they had initially come”.
- “The last third areseverely ill patients who need really help, but I can not do anything for thembecause the first decision is to prescribe a medication that I can notprescribe.
- "The last thirdare severely ill patients who need really help, but can not do anything forthem, because the first decision is to recommend a drug that I have forbiddento prescribe."
Let me an advice, from anold to psychiatrist to a young psychologist, about this last third of patientsthat you define as "I can do nothing for them because they need a medication that I can notprescribe." First of all, you must thank God for having prohibited you theprescription of psychotropic drugs because, otherwise, most of the patients ofthis third group who really need your help, would end up in the sameunfortunate way that occurs when they are treated by a psychiatrist: wiyh the diagnosis of recurrent psychosis, that is, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. "Recurrent"means that the periods of disease recur throughout life and, therefore, thesubject is condemned to endure an intake of antipsychotics for life.
It is well known themechanism of action of antipsychotics: To inhibit and/or override the brain reward circuits that we all need to keep a minimum of self-esteem andactivity. So, these drugs,
- except turnpatients into people unwilling and unmotivated for anything,
- except making patients more and more fatter,transforming them in a kind of misshapen monsters, with metabolic syndromeadded,
- except to decrease the libidinal instinct inthe same degree as oral appetite increase, the desire libido decreases, beingcompletely abolished the sexual life,
- except to make them completely lethargic, insuch way that they are not even able to attend to their personal hygiene,
- except to push them to smoke compulsivelyone cigarette after another to see if by this way they wake up a little of thedrowsy nightmare in which has become his life.
-except that... they do not produce anybeneficial effect!
Indeed, any psychiatrist with clinical experience or any patient who has used this medication knows thatantipsychotics, paradoxically, have not any antipsychotic effect: neither to removehallucinations and/or delusions , nor those telepathic experiences accompanied of the vivid impression of having acquired aclairvoyant intuitive cognition, typical manifestation of these “diseases”.
At most, “the symptomsare encapsulated", as psychiatrists usually say. "Encapsulated"means that it makes no difference that the patient has hallucinations, ordelusional ideas, or even he believed to be the reincarnation of Heracles atthe very time to receive the order of carry out the famous Herculean twelvetasks: Our "antipsychotized" protagonist, in spite of he believed tobe omnipotent, is completely unable to perform any task.
At best, as a cat napping under the winter sun, he canspend the day lying on the couch while by his sleepy mind file thousand and onedelusions. But, regarding to initiate any action... it is impossible for him!
That´s isthe intake of antipsychotics: to use a hammer to kill a fly!
Second and final part (July 7th, 2014)
And isthis what you wish for your third of severe patients, young psychologist?Really you want prescribe them these major tranquilizers, which transform suchpatients in living died?
So, dearyoung psychologist, before you accept a premature burn-out syndrome, youmust try to turn 180 degrees yourprofessional focus, and put at the disposal of these young people, and of theirfamilies, all your knowledge: psychopathological training, empathic listening,clarification therapy, psycho-education… Everything necessary before allowingthat these young people initiate the deadly way of psychiatric patient "antipsychotized",which will transform them in living died!
Keep thatclear: you are -psychologists, educational psychologists, teachers, educatorsand communicators in general- the called to shed light on this sort of impassethat treatments with “antypsychotics” led recurrent psychoses. Only you,changing the chip and penetrating boldly into the realm of"psychosis", and putting a lot of perseverance and hard work and alot of knowledge, only you will find the right way for resolving this thornyissue.
Of course,psychiatrists are indispensable also to achieve this change, but they mustacquire enough self critisim.